Here's my comment to Joy Green McGann's evocative post, (read it!) and her husband David's reply, about racism and all of us:
Great job, Joy. It's such a difficult thing to express--to explain to caring, loving, open-minded people that they are probably contributing to the perpetuation of racism in America. I have known this my whole life. When I'm not actively working against racism, I'm letting it happen. I know, even tho I'm a white lady, because I grew up in a predominantly black neighborhood. I can relate to David's perspective of having lived as "different" although I was able to grow up and move away from my "differentness" in many respects. In other respects, it follows me wherever I go and inserts itself into all of my relationships. Obviously I'm not black. I don't blend into that culture/community. Not so obviously, I'm not completely versed in white culture either. I tire early of criticizing someone's punctuation errors or obsessing over whether my food is organic enough. So I live in both worlds in my own way. I don't need to raise awareness of life as a white person within black culture; every day is a lesson in whiteness. But I do try to bring a little perspective to the flip side of that coin. I try not to be too tedious, but I know my friends are sick and tired of hearing me say, "Think, what if you were black" every time they get pulled over or go on a job interview or have to explain their mistakes to an authority.
Desi Lydic: Trump Talks Sh*t at the UN, Rebrands AI as "Superintelligence"
& Praises Mamdani
-
Desi Lydic dives into the headlines with Trump’s press ban leaving him
speechless (literally, he has no mic anymore). Plus, "AI" is out and “super
intellig...
16 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment